Breakfast is often a meal that many people skip due to lack of time. Unfortunately, it is the most important meal of the day and also should be the heavier of your meals for the day (when I say heavy, I do not mean breakfast at the local breakfast buffet). We often find ourselves eating minimially throughout the day and then eating a big dinner because we are starving! Eating a bigger meal in the evenings can be a bad idea because your metabolism has a tendency to slow down when you are sleeping. Also, studies have shown that eating a filling breakfast helps you to not over eat throughout the day. So, if your tendency is to breeze right through breakfast and you need a “make it and take it” kind of meal, wraps may be the go to breakfast for you! Even if you eat a healthy breakfast daily, but are looking for some new ideas, wraps may just be the thing for you!
Below are some options for breakfast wraps. Remember that we want to have a filling breakfast, but not overdo it in calories! So be cautious when you decide to add extras to your recipe.
1. Low Fat Breakfast Wrap: With just eggs and cheese, this is as simple as you get, but it is still tasty. This is for that mama that is in a major hurry!
2. Peanut Butter and Granola Wrap: Reduced-fat peanut butter is a staple in my breakfast. It is packed with the protein you need for a good workout.
3. Over The Border Wrap: This recipe uses reduced-fat items, but keep track of your portions before the calories get out of control!
4. Scrambled Egg Wrap with Spinach, Tomato and Feta Cheese: A delicious idea to add to your breakfast. Spinach has so much to offer your body, and these flavors pair so well together. (recipe + photo via Cookin’ Canuck)
5. Italian Breakfast Wrap: This wrap is awesome if you have time to cook it in the morning. You could also chop up the veggies beforehand and have them in your refrigerator to toss into your eggs when preparing in the morning.
6. Spanish Breakfast Wrap: I love pico de gallo! You could use salsa in this recipe instead to make it easier. Fresh veggies are super low in calories and are great for you!
7. Breakfast wrap with salsa: Another healthy recipe with salsa! This recipe adds low-fat cream cheese for an added protein bonus.
8. Breakfast Chimichanga: I love the idea of a grilled burrito. Keep in mind that cheese and butter will add extra unneeded calories, so substitute those items with olive oil spray, low fat cheese or just eliminate them from the recipe. This is a great idea to jumpstart your breakfast wrap. (recipe + photo via Food.com)
9. Peanut Butter and Fruit Wrap: A hearty, yet simple, recipe wrap to throw together and take with you.
10. Good Morning Wrap: Substitute the brown sugar with Splenda’s brown sugar and use low-fat or fat-free cottage cheese to reduce the unneeded calories in this recipe.
Do you have a favorite breakfast wrap or burrito? We’d love to see pics of the recipe! Share them on Skinny Mom’s Facebook page!