Editor’s note: The following article is written by a Skinny Mom Resident Mom. The Resident Mom program gives a voice to our readers, allowing moms across the world to contribute content to Skinny Mom. If you’re interested in becoming a Resident Mom, click here to apply.
Though I’ve been celebrating since Labor Day, today marks the official start of fall and this is by far my favorite season. When I was younger, I loved the summer because I’d go to the beach, hang out with friends and relax. Now that I have a home with no air conditioning, a job and a son, the heat and humidity are not as fun as they once were. Now, I live for the days where it’s sunny, the air is crisp and the trees are beautiful shades of reds, yellows and oranges.
With the cooler air comes opportunities to do more outdoor activities comfortably. My family and I love to do a few different things every fall.
1. Apple picking: I love that we have quite a few orchards near us. We love to go and pick a bushel or a peck (yes, I’m singing the song in my head as I write this) of apples. It’s a lot of fun walking up and down the rows of trees finding the perfect apples. The apples are so fresh and they make amazing pies and apple crisps. It’s also a great feeling knowing that you’re supporting a local business.
>> Read more: 10 Fall Foods and Flavors You’ve Been Waiting For
2. Hiking: During the summer, many people go for hikes; I’m not one of them. I have a bit of a bug-phobia, especially mosquitoes since they’re more attracted to me than most people. However, during the fall mosquitoes are, for the most part, gone. It’s cooler and crisper out and the foliage is gorgeous! These factors make hiking much more enjoyable during the fall, for me at least.
3. Fairs: It’s the season of fairs! We’re lucky enough to have two fairs really close to our home in September. We also try to go to another fair every year in October, close to where we camp in Maine. I have to say, the Fryeburg Fair in Maine is my favorite. It’s huge! There are several expo halls with local vendors, animal barns with all types of different farm animals, rides, great food and so much more. I look forward to it each year, and who doesn’t need an excuse to eat fried dough and candy apples?
4. Day trips: My family is usually pretty busy on the weekends during the summers and winters. In the summer, we go to Maine on the weekends where we stay on a campground. In the winters, we spend a lot of time with my family in New Hampshire skiing. We’re lucky enough to be able to do these fun things. However, it’s such a nice change of pace in the fall when we can go to new places within driving distance. It’s the perfect weather to walk around cute, little towns that have that Main Street, USA feel. The drives are always nice because of the foliage, of course, and it’s so much fun to experience new places as a family and make new memories.
5. Halloween-themed events: Unlike the rest of my family, I’m a huge Halloween fan! I love, love, love Halloween. I even decorate my cubicle at work, which my colleagues probably think I’m nuts for doing, but who doesn’t love seeing a bubbling cauldron at work? Anyways, fall is the season for two holidays: Halloween and Thanksgiving. Halloween is known for lots of fun events like hayrides, haunted houses, pumpkin picking, corn mazes and more! It’s great to check your local area for these fun events that you can do as a family.
What family activities do you do during this wonderful season? Share in the comments below!