Have you remixed your wardrobe yet? All the cools kids are doing it, which probably explains why I’m about two years tardy to the party. For those of you who don’t know what remixing is, it’s basically exactly what it sounds like, using your current wardrobe in new ways. If you’re like most of us, you get a little stuck in a fashion rut and the wear the same pieces in the same ways. I’m pretty sure my son automatically assumes any blonde he sees in leggings, a chambray shirt, and riding boots is his mom, hello weekend uniform. Now I’m not saying wearing the same pieces all the time is totally bad, it’s pretty good to have a signature style that works for you, it’s just a little too easy and boring. And we’re better than that, right? Well I at least know I’m better than boring. So where am I going with this? Well I’m issuing you all a remix challenge, thirty items of clothing for thirty days. Let me break it down for you.
Pick a start day (day one); wear only clothes from a pool of thirty chosen items and no shopping for the next thirty days. Doesn’t sound so bad, right? At then end of the thirty days you’ll see your wardrobe in a whole new light and have hopefully saved a couple bucks. Are you on board? Yay! Ok, so that’s just the basics, but let me break it down a little further.
- Go through your closet and try on (almost) everything you own. Trust me, you don’t want to waste a pick on something that doesn’t fit or doesn’t flatter you. You really should be doing this somewhat regularly anyway; I mean how annoying is it to throw on an outfit for a night out only to realize you hate the way it looks?
- Think about your month. How do you spend your time? Do you work full time? Do you spend your days running after kids? Do you entertain? Is the phrase “cocktail attire” a regular part of your weekend? You really need to think of these things because halfway through you don’t want to be trying to figure out how you can style a sequin cocktail dress for a day at the office.
- And now the fun part. Pick out your clothes! Listen to your gut. Does a little voice in your head tell you to grab that leather pencil skirt even though there may be a more practical choice hanging in your closet? Well live a little and grab that leather! If a piece of clothing makes you happy you owe it to yourself to pick it. Once you have your thirty pieces move them towards the front of your closet and you’re ready to go.
There really aren’t any rules for a challenge such as this, but I want to tell you what I’m not counting in my thirty pieces before you yell at me that I’m cheating. I’m not including:
- Hosiery. Tights are basically underwear, so they don’t count. And while we’re at it neither does actual underwear (if I chose to wear some).
- Shoes. Between commuting to work, work, and then whatever I do after work I will potentially wear three different pairs of shoes a day, I see no reason that should be held against me.
- Workout gear. I workout five or six days a week, sometimes twice a day. That’s like my whole thirty items right there, no thank you.
- Accessories. The main reason I’m not including accessories is because the very thought of going through all my accessories gives me a headache. That being said I do have some I never wear and I’m going to make an effort to let them see the light of day.
- Outerwear. I’m starting this challenge in February and ending it in March, since I’m in New England there is a real chance I could see eighteen-degree days, seventy-degree days and everything in between. Maybe if I lived someplace that would see consistent weather for the next month I would think of adding outerwear, but here in Boston there is real potential I’m wearing seven different coats over the next thirty days.
All right, now let’s get cracking! Think of if like shopping in your closet. I’m off to pick out my thirty pieces right now, wish me luck!
Photo Credit: www.sheknows.com