Swimsuit season is officially here so let’s take a moment and all grunt together… Grrrrr! Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s talk about the dreaded act of swimsuit shopping. For most women, despite how much you love or hate your body, you make a bee line for the bikinis and search among the endless racks strings and polka dots for the perfect fit. Contrary to the belief that bikinis are the only way to roll, Bliss Tree has 10 reasons why you might want to rethink that skin exposing bikini.
Now, it doesn’t matter what your body looks like, if you want to wear a bikini, by all means wear one. However, if you do choose to wear an itsy bitsy teeny weeny, make sure you’re taking care of your body while you’re at it. I’m not talking about dieting or exercising your way to a beach bod (whatever that is), I’m talking about preventing bikini-related problems. After all, there are reasons not to wear a swimsuit that have nothing to do with what your body looks like.
Here are 10 reasons to not wear a bikini–
- Pressure. If you don’t feel comfortable wearing a bikini and would rather wear a one piece, shorts and T-shirt, a wet suit or a tuxedo to the beach or pool, that’s cool. Don’t feel pressured to wear one because other people do. It doesn’t mean you aren’t body positive or that you hate your own body just because you want to cover up more.
- Anxiety. This one goes hand and hand with pressure. If you feel anxious or self conscious in a bikini, you’re not going to have the best time possible. If you wear a bikini and are nervous you’ll feel weird about it, pack a big shirt or something like it in your beach bag so that you can slip something comfy on in a pinch.
- Bikini Waxes. You certainly don’t have to groom your pubic area if you want to wear a bikini, but if you do feel the need to, bikini waxes are painful and can cause rashes and ingrown hairs. Your bikini zone will be more sensitive to the elements after a wax, so taking a freshly bald beaver for a swim can be a little risky. Maybe wait 24-48 hours before sunning your waxed crotch.
- Sun Burn. The more skin you leave uncovered, the more area that can be hit by dangerous rays from the sun. Keep applying broad spectrum sunscreen and give your skin breaks from the sun. Wearing additional light layers can add a bit of protection from those harmful UVs.
- Chafing. Have you ever gotten a painful bumpy irritation on your bikini line or upper thighs from a swimsuit? That’s chafing and oof, it’s so annoying. You can minimize chafing by keeping skin-on-skin and wet bathing suit-on-skin friction at bay. Make sure your bathing suit is clean and fits well.
To read the rest of this article, click here.