After doing some research using books, magazines, and online articles, I’ve compiled a list of some of the best reasons to stay active during pregnancy:
1. Perhaps the most obvious, women who are active during pregnancy gain less unneccessary weight. For those who are very overweight before pregnancy, staying or becoming moderately active can lead to a loss of some of the unhealthy weight that can put you at higher risk for a plethora of health issues.
2. Due to the extra support of your toned muscles, you are less likely to develop stretch marks and have a quicker bounce back time to your pre-baby body.
3. Say “goodbye” to the common pregnancy plagues called fatigue and morning sickness, which can keep inactive women idle for much of their pregnancy. Active moms-to-be often experience higher energy levels and less nausea.
4. Staying or becoming active can prevent common pregnancy-related health issues such as gestational diabetes, pre-eclampsia, back aches, heartburn, constipation, bloating, and swelling.
5. And my favorite motivator… Women who maintain a moderate amount of exercise experience less pain during labor.
We’ve come a long way. Due to the increased availability to things like prenatal yoga and pilates classes, 20-30% more pregnant women are working out today than there were 5 years ago. I can’t wait to take advantage of these resources, and to tell you all about them!