“Peanut allergy is the most common cause of deaths from food allergy.”
This quote terrifies me. For the last 6 years I have been terrified of nuts, especially peanuts. My son is severely allergic to peanuts. A sliver of a peanut, peanut residue on an item or person he touches could put him into anaphylactic shock and kill him.
I research what healthy foods to eat on a regular basis. I am always looking for ways to get some good protein in my diet. I have to rely on beans, eggs and meat to get it, because I cannot or will not touch any type of nut. Every book and every website will list peanuts as an excellent source of protein. Peanuts, peanuts, peanuts. I hate the thought of peanuts.
Before we discovered my son’s peanut allergy, I LOVED peanuts. Mainly I loved peanut butter. I ate it practically every single day until that day in January 2009 that changed our lives and diet forever. I was making my favorite peanut butter cookies when my 11-month-old son pulled himself to stand by grabbing my jeans. I bent down to pick him up and accidentally got a sliver of peanut butter on his cheek. I took a wet towel and wiped it off, set him down and watched him crawl out of the kitchen into the family room. Within seconds after that, he was screaming! I ran over to see what was wrong and my beautiful son’s face was completely swollen. I knew. I knew that very moment that he had a peanut allergy. Our lives changed that day.
I became one of the minority- a person dealing with life-threatening food allergies. Those without food allergies do not and could not understand the severity of his allergy until they live it. Peanuts — that great source of protein — will kill my son.