1. Brush your teeth with a whitening tooth paste. Your red will pop against your pearly whites. Since your lips will be the focal point, you want your teeth to sparkle.
2. Exfoliate and moisturize your lips before applying your red lipstick or gloss. The easiest way to exfoliate your lips is to use your toothbrush with warm water – gently brush your lips in a circular motion for 30 seconds to a minute. This will help remove the dead skin from dry or chapped lips. After patting your lips dry, use a non-colored lip balm to re-moisturize and set your lips for the red lipstick.
3. Line your lips with a lip pencil (if preferred) or use concealer outside your lips to ensure shaping. Now I don’t normally use lip pencil, but I do love the look it gives (makes lips look bigger). It helps to make a guide so you can easily stay in the lines when applying your lipstick. If you don’t have a lip pencil, not to worry, use a concealer brush and simply line your lips from the outside. Don’t be afraid to get close to your lips – the more precise the better the contrast will be from your lipstick to skin tone. This will also help prevent feathering.4. Fill in your lips with the liner. This will seal the color underneath and if you can’t reapply you can just use a gloss or lip balm over top to refresh the look.
5. Put on your lipstick! For best results, apply lipstick with a lip brush. This will ensure that you are absolutely intentional about where you want the color (stay inside the lines!) and will result in less blotting and touching up. Simply swipe your brush across the lipstick and gently but generously apply to your lips. Try to stay within the natural shaping of your lips for the most flattering look.
6. Blot lightly with a tissue and apply clear gloss to center.
After these 6 simple tips, you’ll be rocking the red hot lip. Touch up as needed and at the end of the day wash off gently with makeup remover and be sure to re-moisturize with chap stick (Rosebud Salve is my favorite!)
A few more things to remember:
- Red lips aren’t just for special occasions! For an effortlessly chic look, try a red lip during the day with a casual ensemble. It will add instant glam to any outfit.
- Try drugstore brands first, especially if you’re new to red lips – no need to spends big bucks for something you won’t wear often.
- Keep the rest of your makeup understated when wearing a red lip.
- Smile big and wear your red lips with confidence!
Featured Image Credit: www.makeupgeek.com
Style Guide Image Credit: http://www.dailybeautyreviews.com/red-lipstick-tips-choosing-your-shade/