With its fast-paced moves, Zumba can look intimidating to beginners. Like any dance/exercise, Zumba moves can be challenging at first. However, the benefits of Zumba make it worth taking the time to learn the moves. Zumba is a great choice for anyone looking to spice up their exercise regime. There is only one drawback to Zumba: It can be addictive!
1. Total Body Workout: Your legs, arms, and core muscles all get a complete workout in Zumba. Even everyone’s not-so-favorite exercises like squats and lunges are seamlessly incorporated into the choreography.
2. Burns Calories: If you want to lose weight, try Zumba. It burns hundreds of calories per hour and is an excellent cardio workout. Cardio exercises like Zumba not only burn calories during the workout, but they also increase your metabolism during the other 23 hours of the day as well!
3. Improves Mind/Body Connections: Zumba dance improves balance and coordination which are two important brain functions. Zumba helps keep the mind and body sharp and also prevents injuries. Having good balance and coordination will make you far less likely to accidentally injure yourself during workouts, but if you are new to Zumba, make sure to use athletic tape. Ankle soreness is a common complaint among beginner Zumba dancers who are not used to keeping their weight on the balls of their feet, so make sure you have proper foot support. (photo credit)
4. It’s Fun: Be-bopping to the Latin beat sure tops the endless drudgery of a treadmill. New songs and choreography constantly vary up your routine so every workout presents a new challenge for your mind and body. The energizing music makes you actually want to move your body, and all the hip-rocking, booty-shaking moves make you feel sexy and alive.
5. It’s Flexible: Since Zumba includes hundreds of different songs and choreography, it is easily tailored to any level of fitness. It’s both accessible to beginners and challenging for fitness gurus. It can even be adapted for the elderly or young children.
6. It’s Social: Zumba sessions have more of a dance/party atmosphere than that of an exercise class. It’s a great way to meet new people and to have fun with friends while getting a great workout. Since Zumba is such a popular dance/exercise, you won’t have to look too hard to find a fellow Zumba enthusiast! (photo credit)
Brionna Kennedy is native to the Pacific Northwest, growing up in Washington, then moving down to Oregon for college. She enjoys writing on fashion and business, but any subject will do, as she loves to learn about new topics. When she isn’t writing, she lives for the outdoors. Oregon has been the perfect setting to indulge her love of kayaking, rock climbing, and hiking.