Listen up, party people! This weekend is notably celebrated in declaration of worker’s rights and the triumphs of the labor movement, but this weekend is also deemed the last bash of the summer season. To help you prepare for your Labor Day festivities, we spoke with Dawn Bryan, entertaining expert.
Dawn Bryan, founder of The Qualipedia, suggests some sizzling summer party tips for enhanced summer fun with family and friends.
- Arrange guests in small comfortable groups to foster mingling (this can be done with small tables or even over-sized grass blankets with filled baskets anchoring the corners).
- Offer fun water toys/floats for parties with a pool.
- Enhance ground seating with rugs, pillows, or blankets.
- Serve up a rain date on the invite so there is always a contingency plan.
- Arrange food by this order: entrees, sides, salads, bread, butter, and condiments, and always prepare extra portions.
- Provide enough extra dishes and silverware for second helpings to be enjoyed on clean dishes.
- Position the drink table away from the buffet to avoid traffic jams.
- Offer leftovers in take-away containers, especially to guests who have children.
- Create a signature theme with a recipe, color, music, or games.
- Send guests home with a gift bag that relates to your theme (example: Send your guest home with a gift or gift bag that relates to your theme, the season or the food served–for example, thematically colored M&M’s; for beach/pool party, small beach pails filled with salt water taffy; for summertime theme, small pots of flowers or herbs; for South of the Border party, homemade salsa; small containers of seasoned salt or homemade jams or jelly.)
- In your gift bag, include a take home bagel or Danish for Saturday or Sunday morning breakfast
Qualipedia ™ was founded by Dawn Bryan, an authority on gifting, protocol, quality and conscious choice.
Dawn’s impressive career includes being selected as a consultant and advisor on international protocol for many luxury brands including Gucci, Neiman Marcus, American Express, Business Week Magazine, Hammacher Schlemmer, Citicorps/Diners Club, Swarovski Crystal, and Waterford Wedgewood. Dawn is the author of the best-selling “The Art and Etiquette of Gift Giving” (Bantam) and has authored many articles, columns and books on the subjects of etiquette, gift-giving and the quality of things for Business Week, Town & Country, Modern Bride, Vogue and Glamour among others. Dawn has taught international protocol to globalizing businesses and industries, as well as to Chinese journalists and diplomats in Beijing and Shanghai.