1. OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry): As one of the nation’s leading science museums, this enrichment and entertainment destination features hundreds of interactive displays and exhibits for kids (and big kids) of all ages. Fan favorites include IMAX movies and an in-person tour of the U.S. Navy’s USS Blueblack submarine.
2. Powell’s City of Books: As one of the largest independent bookstores around selling over 1.5 million books annually, Powell’s is a sight to be seen. The renowned bookstore takes up an entire city block with nine enormous rooms filled with books and helpful sales staff to make the experience memorable – just don’t forget the map!
3. Portland Saturday Market: Kids and parents alike love checking out this open-air arts and crafts market to discover fun souvenirs, handmade creations and other finds – and get down to live music. It’s open Saturdays and Sundays, plus, kiddos can dine on food from around the world including naturally healthy Mexican food and kid-approved elephant ears.
4. Voodoo Donuts: The younger audience will flip over these innovative, fried pieces of dough. Devour the Bacon Maple bar or maybe the kids will enjoy a “Dirt Donut”, but even classic varieties will leave everyone’s taste buds rejoicing.
5. Portland Aerial Tram: Watch the city unfold below with a ride on the aerial tram from the South Waterfront to OHSU that’ll afford views of Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, the Willamette River, the downtown skyline and more.
6. Portland Zoo: Playing host to over 270 bird species and 1,880 animal species, the Portland Zoo is a must-see exhibit of wildlife and home to Packy, the largest Asian elephant. Summertime visitors can take in a concert and wintertime patrons can enjoy the Zoo Lights festival.
7. Trains & Trams: Wherever your adventure begins, public transportation isn’t far. Younger kids will enjoy the MAX line (also available from the airport) and the streetcar is an easy way to get around the city center.
Now that you know exactly how you want to spend your time on your next getaway to Portland, make sure your vehicle insurance is up-to-date for your road trip. It’s never been easier to get auto insurance online and maybe you’ll be able to qualify for discounts to help you save for your upcoming adventure in the Pacific Northwest.
Sponsored content was created and provided by Nationwide Insurance.