Do you dry brush? Many people have never heard of dry brushing. It is a very beneficial process that can be added into your personal health routine. Combined with a healthy diet and activity, it is something that can improve the health of most people.
What is Skin Brushing? Skin brushing involves using a special brush to slough away dead skin and exfoliate in a manner that has been linked to reduce toxins, promote energy, and reduce cellulite. The trick is that it is done on dry skin, preferably on a daily basis before showering.
What are the benefits of dry brushing?
- Stimulation-It stimulates both blood flow and the lymphatic system. This is important because the lymphatic system helps remove waste from the body. By stimulating the lymph nodes, this process becomes much more efficient.
- Skin Tone- Brushing helps improve skin tone by exfoliation. When you dry brush, you remove dead skin cells and open up the pores.
- Cellulite-Brushing may help improve the appearance of cellulite, although this varies from person to person. The theory is that the action of brushing helps to break up the puckered, fatty tissue that we know as cellulite.
- Health-It stimulates the immune system. By improving the lymphatic systems waste removal, it helps to strengthen your overall immune system function.
What kind of brush?
Look for a natural bristle brush. These can usually be found at any health food store or drug store. A long handle may facilitate easier reach to all areas of the body. Use bristles that feel comfortable to you, but keep in mind that they may feel harsh at first. Your body will adjust over time, as your skin becomes used to dry brushing. Check out these other great tips to get healthy looking skin.
How to brush?
- Brush before your shower or bath. Make sure that you only brush your skin when it is dry. It will not be effective on damp or wet skin.
- Start at your feet and use short firm strokes toward the top of the body. Then move to your arms and follow that with your torso. Always make sure you brush towards your heart.
- Avoid any rashes, cuts or wounds. Brush other areas, but avoid these until they are healed.
- Dry brushing should take approximately 5-10 minutes.
After you finish, your pores will be opened due to the exfoliation which allows for your skin products, treatments and moisturizers to more efficiently enter your skin. Shower as normal and aim to repeat the brushing process daily. Trust us, you will see a serious change in your skin with just a few brushes! Try it out tonight and tell us how it goes!