If you’re careful to make sure you and your family are eating a balanced diet, Halloween can be a difficult time to keep your little ghosts and goblins eating healthy. Aside from the shocking nutrition facts of candy (that’s a whole other story), have you looked at the price of a bag of candy these days? A large bag could cost you up to $20.
So why not opt for healthier homemade options? We promise they’re just as tasty as store-bought treats, and the presentation alone of these not-so-scary indulgences will kill at your next Halloween party. Check out these haunting, healthier Halloween treats.
1. Pretzel Spider Webs: The pretzel-chocolate combination is a favorite among many kids and adults alike, so we’re confident this recipe is going to become a Halloween tradition. Plus, two webs will only put you out 71 calories. Don’t forget to pick up some spider rings to complete the spooky snacks.
2. Creepy Crawly Spider Sandwiches: Give the kids a fright when they open their lunch box to find spiders crawling around! This recipe uses pretzel rods to make the tastiest spider legs you’ve ever seen, and chocolate chips for the cutest eyes ever. You’ll feel great knowing each sandwich is only 172 calories, yet packs seven grams of protein.
3. Mummy Hot Dogs: This spooky recipe uses turkey hot dogs and reduced-fat crescents to keep them on the healthy side, and dotted the eyes with a bit of mustard. You’ll be known as the cool “mummy” once the kids and their friends get ahold of these yummy mummies!
4. Boo-nana Ghosts: These boo-nana ghosts use frozen bananas, Greek yogurt and a bit of powdered sugar to create a sweet and spooky treat. At only 44 calories and 2 Weight Watchers SmartPoints a pop, you’ll be amazed by how tasty these frozen snacks are.
5. Monster Mouth: This cute recipe is an adorable snack that your kids will love. The apples, peanut butter and yogurt-covered raisins turn into a spooky surprise: a monster mouth! (via Today’s Frugal Mom)