Don’t walk behind me; I may not lead. Don’t walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend. –Albert Camus
Do you have any friends that no matter how long it has been since you were together it just seems like you pick up the conversation like you have never been apart? In my opinion these are the best friends a gal or guy could have and are very necessary to our emotional health! Here are the many reasons I believe this:
- These people often times know your deepest, darkest secrets and don’t judge you because of them.
- It doesn’t matter what time of day or night that you call they will answer the phone and just LISTEN.
- They treat your children as they would their own, discipline and love the same.
- You can finish each other’s sentences because you think alike.
- They truly walk beside you without judging or criticizing.
I am blessed to have a few people like this in my life! In fact, all three of them stood right beside me the day I married my husband. When I say blessed, I truly mean that! My true friends are those that I made in school while growing up. We have been there through thick and thin, disagreements and happy times, sadness and joy, weddings and babies, losing loved ones and gaining loved ones. No matter what we are there for each other at 4:00 AM just as we would be at 4:00 PM. Sometimes it may just be an email, a text, or a phone call, but it means the world and can change your attitude for the entire day.
I pray that all of you reading this have the same kind of friendship with someone in your life. I pray that you remember to walk beside them as you go through life and remember the golden rule.
Are you still in touch with friends from school? Is there someone that you need to reconnect with?