We’ve all heard that we should be drinking plenty of water each day, but the question on most of our minds is exactly how much water is enough? The answer to that question depends on several factors.
When it comes to daily water consumption, the long running theory has been the “8×8 Rule”. This means that you need to drink eight, 8-ounce glasses of water each day, for a total of 64 ounces. While this rule has been easy to remember, it doesn’t always meet the body’s hydration needs. According to Margaux J. Rathbun, certified nutritional therapy practitioner and founder of AuthenticSelfWellness.com, the real rule of thumb is remembering to drinking half your body’s weight in water.
To figure out what this number is for you, just take your weight in pounds, divide that number by 2 and aim for that many ounces of water each day. For example, a person weighing 150 pounds should drink around 75 ounces of water a day. While this is an excellent rule to use as basic hydration guidelines, there are additional factors that should be considered when calculating your daily water needs.
The Mayo Clinic suggests that there are factors other than weight that need to be considered when calculating your daily water intake. Some examples of these factors include:
- If you’re physically active, your body will need more water to replace what is has lost.
- Women who are breast feeding will need additional fluids for breast milk production.
- Hotter, more humid days will require more fluids to replenish what your body sweats out.
All of these calculations can seem confusing, but getting in the proper amount of fluids is honestly much easier than you think! Here are a few helpful hints to try:
- Purchase a reusable water bottle and fill it each time you head to the restroom or take a break.
- When at a restaurant, order water with lemon instead of a regular or diet soda.
- Bring water with you to the gym, and make sure you are sipping before, during and after workouts.
- Keep a small lunch bag or cooler in the trunk of your car, and throw a few bottles of water in whenever you have a day full of errands.
- Try adding flavor to your water in an effort to spice it up and make it more palatable.
- Try coconut water when you need a slightly sweeter treat.
Staying hydrated all day long is important to your health and well being, so be certain to do everything you can to give your body the water that it needs so it can perform it’s very best every day!