You’ve worked your
booty off to maintain your fitness routine and stay in shape, and then the dreaded Winter months come. If you are like me, you LOVE being outdoors. But in the winter months, it can be hard to dress appropriately for outdoor workouts: it’s cold when you start, but it can get a little toasty under all those layers. Even running to the gym can be a daunting task when it’s freezing outside, but don’t use the weather as an EXCUSE to skip your workout. After all, you will be sweating in no time! Here are some things to consider when looking for outdoor exercise gear, and some good options for winter workouts. Layering is essential!
- Don’t overdress: You don’t want to be too warm when you leave the house. Aim for a balanced approach to dressing that will leave you warm, but not so hot that you start sweating a lot.
- Protect those extremities first: Keep your hands, ears, and nose covered. The extremities are the most exposed to cold and wind and the most susceptible to frostbite.
- Layer, Layer, Layer: In cold weather, the secret is to layer lightweight garments so the clothing works together to keep you dry and warm. High-tech materials like polypropylene and polar fleece are designed to keep body temperature steady, while wicking the moisture away from your skin to the surface layer of clothing. Because these fabrics “wick” rather than absorb moisture, your clothes don’t get soggy and heavy as you sweat. Obviously, this means NO sweats and over sized t-shirts!
- Dress flexibly: Put on your hat and zip up your jacket when you’re heading into a cold wind. Take the hat off and partially zip down the jacket when the wind is behind you. The difference can be dramatic.
- Don’t push it: Don’t tempt fate by trying to run hard and fast in difficult weather. It becomes hard to breathe and keep your pace. Instead take your workout indoors.
- Find a friend: It’s much safer and more fun to train with your friends in the winter. Everyone has trouble leaving a nice warm bed. But, if you know that someone is waiting for you, it’s much easier to to be motivated .