Headed to the beach this summer? Don’t forget to keep up with your fitness goals while you’re there! Even though rest and recovery are important, it’s a good idea to keep up with your routine so you don’t struggle with getting back into the groove once you return home–especially if you’re taking a nice vacation lasting longer than 5 days.
Changing up the scenery of your workouts is fun and invigorating. Bonus: You can do most of these barefoot! According to a study on the effects of running shoes that was published in The Journal of American Academy of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, being barefoot actually supports the natural curves of your foot, making those tiny muscles stronger and more supportive. (DrAxe.com)
Here are a few things you can do right in the sand:
2. Sprints: Running on the beach is awesome! Take your interval timer with you and perform a few walking/sprint drills.
3. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) – there are tons of basic movements you can perform on the beach without any weight (CrossFit style). Pick a handful of those listed below, set your timer for 15 mins, do 10-20 reps of each and switch, rest and you’re done!
- Squat jumps
- Side to side or skier jumps
- Mountain climbers
- Reverse crunches
- Jumping jacks
- Calf raises
4. Beach Activities: Tossing a Frisbee back and forth with a partner or participating in some beach volleyball or soccer are great ways to keep moving and have some fun. Change things up a bit! Photo Credit here.
5. Walking : Simply going for a long, leisurely walk is wonderful for your physical self as well as your mental/emotional self. It’s grounding and relaxing.
What are your favorite activities to do on the beach to keep your fitness alive and fun on vacation?