You always hear about how important it is to drink 8 glasses of water a day. Many of us have a hard time following that rule. Water is the best drink out there. Soda, alcohol, and coffee are the drinks of choice for many, but water is the good stuff. I gave up soda pop several years ago. I was watching a news program about how bad it was for you. There is nothing healthy in soda pop. It is just a bunch of chemicals and sugar, so now I only drink water, coffee and tea. My coffee still has sugar in it, but one thing to tackle at a time. I have been looking for a healthy (sugar-free) ways to dress up my jug of water. To make it more appealing, like a treat instead of a chore. For several months now, I have been adding lemon and lime slices to my water. I keep a huge jug of this lemon/lime water in the refrigerator so there is always a cold drink on hand. Here are a few items you can add to your water (no calories) to dress it up a bit:
- Add sliced lemon or limes
- Add cucumbers- a nice refreshing treat. I add cucumbers to my green smoothies too.
- Add a herbal tea – green or mint tea
- Sliced oranges or grapefruit
- Ginger – a nice refreshing addition and aids with nausea
I remember hearing that lemon is detoxifying and good for digestion. I read if you drink lemon water first thing in the morning it will kick start your metabolism. Bob Harper says to drink a glass of water before every meal as well. It will help you feel full so you do not over eat.
Here are a few of the many benefits of lemon in your water:
- Lemons have a lot of vitamin C.
- Adding lemon to you water helps absorb calcium.
- Lemons are high in pectin fiber which aids in weight loss.
So keep drinking those 8 glasses of water every day!