So you’re ready to ditch the bad food habits and start living a full and healthy life? Well hop on board the “Foodie Train” and join me in keeping your arteries and heart working in tip-top shape. Get ready, get set, go!
1. Garlic: Garlic is a surprisingly healthy food that packs a powerful punch…and not just with it’s odor! Garlic has been found to reduce cholesterol and also works as an antioxidant and an antibiotic, making it an amazingly beneficial addition to your diet!
2. Flaxseed: For such a tiny and ancient seed, flaxseed has a lot of nutrients that will help your body fight and prevent heart disease, diabetes, and even breast cancer! Who knew?!
3. Avocados: Avocados are often called the world’s most perfect food and for good reason! Avocados are high in fiber and are sodium and cholesterol free, which makes them such a great aide in fighting and preventing heart disease! Check out Skinny Avocado Tuna Salad for a great stuffed avocado recipe!
4. Wild-Caught Coldwater Fish: Cold water fish are one of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids that your body (especially your heart) needs! Eating coldwater fish provides you with many nutrients your body needs and if you enjoy it, is a perfect excuse to indulge in seafood! The best kinds are saltwater, wild-caught fish!
5. Coconut Oil: Coconut oil, while once believed to be unhealthy, is actually great for your heart and your overall health! It has numerous beneficial characteristics, and can help the body prevent viruses, bacteria and disease. It also positively affects hormones and can reduce cholesterol!
6. Beans: Beans are extremely underrated when it comes to their health benefits. Beans can lower cholesterol, improve blood glucose for diabetics, lower blood pressure, and the list doesn’t stop there! So next time you scoff at the little bean, think again!
7. Almonds: Almonds can play a key role in your health because they fight against heart disease and diabetes, two of the most common ailments! Their high levels of magnesium and potassium are super healthy and almonds have also been linked with weight loss because of their healthiness!
8. Melon: Melons are one of my favorite summer fruits and their health benefits are an added bonus! They are super high in key vitamins and minerals that the body needs and contain almost no fat at all! Vitamin A, Potassium, and Lycopene are just a few of the many nutrients that melons contain!
9. Green Leafy Veggies: Eating veggies may seem like an obvious benefit to your health, but it’s important to know just what you’re putting into your body! Green veggies, especially leafy ones, are super high in fiber and are packed with different vitamins, minerals and plant-based supplements that your body needs! They especially benefit your heart and can help prevent disease, diabetes and cancer!
10. Pineapple: Pineapples are one of my favorite seasonal fruits, and their tropical juiciness is only made even sweeter when you consider the health benefits they pack! Pineapple can help your digestive system, build up your immune system, and protect your vision, and that only skims the surface of what they can do! So this summer when you bite into delicious, fresh pineapple, rest easy knowing you’re doing your body good!
11. Walnuts: Like most nuts, including almonds, walnuts have countless advantages for your overall health! Listing all of them would be nearly impossible, but a few keys areas that walnuts excel in are heart health, cancer prevention, brain health, and lowering cholesterol levels!
12. Wheat Germ: Including wheat germ in your diet can help fight cancer and arthritis, which are two very serious health risks! Wheat germ also provides the body with tons of important vitamins and nutrients that will keep your body in tip-top shape!
13. Organ Meats: I know the idea of eating organ meat can be intimidating, and well…kinda gross..but hear it out! Organ meats are actually the most concentrated source of all of your nutritional needs! Important vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, and amino acids can all be found in organ meats! So if you’re feeling adventurous, give organ meats a try! For more information, click here!
14. Sesame Seeds: Sesame seeds are another seed that have been overlooked for centuries for their nutritional value! They are a key food to fight arthritis, help support respiratory and vascular health, and even help migraines and PMS! Hello, ladies!
15. Lots & Lots of Water: Okay, so as obvious as this one may seem, it’s a proven fact that most Americans don’t drink enough water each day! Even the healthiest of people don’t drink enough of this life-supporting liquid, so do your part for your health and get your daily intake! You’ll be thankful you did later!