Try this great, 25 minute workout at home to tone your glutes, thighs, arms, and shoulders for summer! The best part about this routine is with repetition, you’ll see quick definition in your muscles without having to invest in any expensive exercise equipment. All you need is a chair, a resistance band and some rockin’ music to keep you movin’!
- Leg Lifts A – Facing the chair, place your hands shoulder length apart on the seat of the chair and bend at the waist. Raise your right leg straight back so it is parallel to the floor and your foot is flexed so it is perpendicular to the floor. Hold in position and return leg slowly to the starting position. Complete a set of 50 reps on your right leg before you move to your left leg. Repeat 2 times to get 100 reps in on each leg. (You can adjust the reps to your liking, such as 5 sets of 20 reps on each leg to equal 100 total lifts on each leg). Be sure to keep your glutes and leg muscles tight during each lift and your abdominals contracted.
- Leg Lifts B – Same position as Leg Lift A, however, when your leg is raised to the hold position, give 5 flutter kicks (small up and down quick movements with your leg), and keep your glutes held tight. Repeat movement for 2 sets of 25, equaling 50 glute & flutter kicks on each leg.
- Thigh Trainer – Move to the back of the chair, resting your hands on the top of the back side. With your feet shoulder width apart, raise your right leg, bending your knee so it faces the ground. This is your new starting position. From this position, raise your knee so your hip is contracting and your knee is now facing outward, not the ground. Repeat this movement for 2 sets of 50 reps on each leg.
- Calf Raises – Standing behind the chair, complete 2 sets of 50 calf raises. Gently place your hands on the back of the chair for support if necessary, however, do not rest any weight on the chair.
- Tricep Dips – Move to the front of the chair again with your back facing the chair. Rest your hands on the chair shoulder width apart with your fingertips hanging over the lip of the chair. Your lower back should be right at the edge of the chair and your legs should form a 90 degree angle. Lower your body and use your triceps to push your body back to the starting position. Repeat 2 sets of 25 for a total of 50 tricep dips.
- Bicep Curls w/ Resistance Band – Sit on the chair with your legs shoulder width apart. Wrap the resistance band under your feet and hold 1 end in each hand. To increase the resistance, wrap the band around your wrist. Start with your arms at a 90 degree angle and raise both fists to your shoulders using the strength in your biceps. Repeat exercise for 3 sets of 20 reps.
- Shoulder Press w/ Resistance Band – Sit on the chair with your legs shoulder width apart. Wrap the resistance band under your feet and hold 1 end in each hand. Start with your arms raised to a 90 degree angle. Raise your hands as high as your resistance band allows. Ideally, your fists will meet above your head while your arms are almost completely straight. Repeat exercise for 3 sets of 20.
- Squats – Stand in front of the chair & complete a normal squat, but get low enough your butt QUICKLY touches the chair. Complete 3 sets of 25 with a quick break between each set.
- Modified Captain’s Chair – Sit with your butt on the edge of the seat, grip the sides, and lift your legs. Release your legs forward, keeping in the air, and contract back to work your abdominals. Complete 3 sets of 15-20.
If you are already on a consistent exercise regimen, you can always push yourself harder with the “don’t stop till you drop” method for the last set, meaning you go as many reps as you can in the last set until you literally can’t go any longer. For beginners, don’t push yourself this hard at first, as you don’t want to injure yourself or become so sore you never want to workout again 😉 !!