A runner’s training schedule is not made up of running alone; you have to put thought into what you put in your stomach. After running, especially a long run, you want to replenish energy as quickly as possible. By eating the right foods at the right times, “your body will recover and be able to perform the way you want it to,” says Lauren Antonucci, R.D., a board-certified specialist in sports nutrition and director of Nutrition Energy. “Plus, you’ll reduce your chance of injury and illness,” she adds.
Studies show by adding small amounts of protein to carbohydrates (generally in a 1:3 ratio) within the first 30 minutes after exercise, muscles convert carbohydrate-rich foods and beverages into glycogen up to three times faster than at other times. In other words, consuming a carb-protein combo following exercise can reduce stiffness, soreness and repair exercise-induced muscle damage simultaneously. Check out these seven Skinny Mom 3:1 (carb:protein) recipes.
1. Skinny Creamy Tortellini and Vegetables: This dish tastes as amazing as it looks! Skinny, guilt-free tortellini and fresh veggies make this dish irresistible!
2. Skinny Tuna Casserole: Get ready to have your mind (and taste buds) blown because this skinny tuna casserole will definitely do the trick! This skinny dish is packed with so much amazing flavor that even the hesitant tuna tasters will like this dish!
3. Skinny Chicken Enchilada Casserole: Casseroles are such a huge hit, especially because they can be prepared early in the day and stored until ready to bake! This Skinny Chicken Enchilada casserole is healthy and delicious, which is sometimes a hard combination to come by!
4. Skinny Minestrone Soup: A classic soup gone skinny! We love this Minestrone soup, and with just one taste, we’re sure you will too!
5. Skinny Avocado Egg Salad Wrap: These wraps are super easy to make, unique and yummy! They’re an awesome pick-me-up after an intense workout!
6. Skinny 3-Cheese Penne: When you hear 3-Cheese before anything you probably don’t think “skinny”, right? Well change that mindset because this 3-Cheese Penne is a classic Italian favorite that’s also Skinny Mom approved! You will definitely be satisfied post-run with this full flavor dish.
7. Skinny Tropical Fruit Smoothie: We all deserve a treat now and again, and this one will ensure a guilt-free experience! You have to try this amazing skinny tropical smoothie – it is a family favorite!