Many women spend lots of time planning their weddings and forget to prepare for the marriage that comes afterward. With the divorce rate consistently hovering around 50% we wondered what it is that couples who are married for the longterm say are the hallmarks of their union. From Dr. Phil to the self-help section at your bookstore, here are 6 ways that we found to keep your bond strong.
- Maintain respect above all. This means no name calling or “below the belt” tactics during arguments.
- Pillow talk. In the evening before bed, take a few minutes to talk to each other. It doesn’t have to be big stuff. Just talk.
- Focus on the good. Couples who stay together over the long haul make sure to tell each other all the ways their partner is fantastic.
- Know that the grass isn’t greener. Grass is grass and we bring our half of problems wherever we go, so….”love the one you’re with!”
- Give each other privacy. Either through separate bathrooms or separate activities, having some space is important.
- There’s no such thing as a soul mate. We mate our souls together and happily married couples know that if they agree on 80% then the other 20% will work itself out.