Juicing is all the rage right now and for good reason! Juicing can provide your body with extra nutrients and antioxidants without having to consume huge amounts of veggies in one sitting or trying to down veggies you might not normally eat whole. They can be very detoxifying which may help improve mental clarity and skin complexion. With that said, there are certain ways to juice to get the best boost to your health.
1. Skip juicing fruit high in sugar (like mango and pineapple) because it will only cause your blood sugar and insulin to sky-rocket. Green apples are low in sugar so they are great for knocking out the bitterness of green juices.
2. It’s not always a good idea to juice cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cabbage, kale, etc.) as they can suppress thyroid function when they are consumed raw. Also, use spinach moderately. It is high in oxalates which can contribute to kidney stones.
3. Make sure you use organic produce to avoid pesticide/herbicide residue in your juice. (Um, yuck!)
4. Juices should be consumed with fat! Fat is vital for nutrient absorption so consume your juice with a meal (like meat or eggs) or mix some coconut milk or oil to the drink.
5. Juices are not meant to be meal replacements. They do provide vitamins/minerals/antioxidants but not enough protein or carbs to sustain you for very long.
6. Remember: juicing can be beneficial but it’s not a band-aid for eating processed food.
I love a green juice with a couple stalks of celery, a cucumber, handful of romaine, ½ a lemon and ½ a green apple. Sometimes I add parsley or a beet. Click here for more great Skinny Mom juice recipes!
What are you favorite juice recipes?