The arrival of warmer weather is just a few weeks away, which means swimsuit season is right around the corner! If you’re still in hibernation mode and indulging in your favorite comfort foods on the daily, it’s time to make some changes to improve your overall health, happiness and well-being. Over the next 30 days, follow these 7 simple tips to ensure you start spring off on your happiest and healthiest foot.
1. Take Your Multi-Vitamin: This is probably the easiest and quickest change you can make, but it can have huge health benefits. For the amount of time it takes you to drink a sip of water, you can ensure that your body has the optimal levels of nutrients, vitamins and minerals that diet alone may fail to provide. Not sure which vitamins to take? Here’s a guide for your 20s, 30s, 40s, and 50s + beyond.
2. Minimize Processed and Junk Foods: The less processed foods in your diet, the better. Sure, we all have cravings, but there are endless healthy alternatives that will surely satisfy your cravings. Instead of greasy store-bought potato chips, try baking your own! To satisfy a sweet tooth, stuff a few raspberries with some chocolate or whip up some easy peanut butter and chocolate banana bites and enjoy.
3. Drink Smarter: Many of us are in a constant state of being somewhat dehydrated. Look for ways to work in your 8 glasses of water a day (with or without lemon!) while enjoying the antioxidant benefits of tea. Make sure juices are 100% fruit juice without any added sugars and cut out the soda. If you enjoy the occasional alcoholic beverage, that’s fine, as there’s nothing wrong with a glass of red wine with dinner!
4. Move More: Even if you can’t afford a gym membership or despise working out in the traditional sense, you can still get some exercise in. Look for simple ways to take the long route, such as parking as far as possible from entrances and taking the steps instead of an elevator. Instead of the gym, find activities that you enjoy, such as hiking, dancing, yoga or going for a walk in the park with your girlfriends.
5. Practice Better Posture: Many of us are extremely harsh on our backs, shoulders and necks. Limit balancing a child or carrying a heavy purse solely on one side – swap sides on a frequent basis. In addition, try your best to sit up straight, especially when you’re sitting in front of your computer at the office or at home. Also consider seeking out a chiropractor to help maintain proper alignment. Here are five exercises to improve your posture.
6. Take a Break: Both your mind and body will benefit from some regular rest and relaxation. Find time for yoga, meditation, prayer or reading – whatever helps relax your mind. If you have a particular issue you’re struggling with, seek out a counselor or trusted friend who can help you work through your thoughts and come up with a resolution.
7. Be Kind(er): It’s a proven mental health booster to do good for others. Look for ways to be more forgiving of yourself, but also seek out opportunities to do good in the lives of those around you. Whether it’s sending an anonymous donation, volunteering at a local shelter or heading-up a coat drive, you’re guaranteed to feel better and happier when you make a positive difference in the world.
This is a guest post written by Susan Bodack. Susan is all about living a happy and healthy lifestyle. When she’s not exercising, experimenting in the kitchen or spending time with her family and friends, Susan is managing the Social Media Marketing and PR for luxury online swimwear retailer, InStyleSwimwear.com. Susan has been with the company for 5 years, and knows that being happy and confident in your own skin is essential to feeling your best at the beach. Whether you’re young or old, curvy or skinny as a stick, Susan believes that all women are beautiful and encourages you to celebrate what makes you, you!