As school is back in session, time seems to slip away from us between heading to work, picking up the kids from school, cooking dinner and helping with homework. This is the perfect routine for a busy day when you need a quick workout that blasts calories and ignites your metabolism! This circuit routine will take you only 20 minutes and is sure to leave you out of breath, sweaty, and ready to rock the rest of your busy day!
To have your best workout yet, complete each move continuously for one minute. Then after the sixth move, rest for one minute then begin the circuit again. Complete this sequence three times and see fast results!
1. Mountain Climber
- Get in a pushup position. Your body should be in a straight, diagonal line from your head to your toes.
- Raise your right knee toward your chest.
- Return to starting position and repeat with left leg. That’s one rep.
- Alternate legs quickly for 60 seconds. Click here for more info!
Modification: Decrease your speed and range of motion.
2. Frog Jump
- Start in a squat position with knees softly bent.
- Jump up, lifting legs as high as you can off the ground. As you fall down, drop all the way to the floor.
- You should be in a deep squatted position with knees pointing slightly outward and your hands on the floor. Repeat the jumping motion without breaking up the movement for 60 seconds. See the step-by-step tutorial here.
Modification: Decrease your range of motion on both the jump and the drop. Hop rather than jump and squat rather than touch the floor.
>> Playlist: Home Gym Hip Hop Playlist
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and your hands tucked behind your head with elbows out.
- Start with a quick jump then push your hips back, bend your knees and drop down, placing your hands on the floor in front of you.
- Kick your legs backward so that you’re now in a pushup position.
- Quickly reverse the movement to return to the starting position by bringing your feet back into your hands.
- Push through your feet and jump up to the start position. That’s one rep. Click here for more info.
Modification: Do not jump up into starting position, and rather than hopping back with both feet, step back one foot at a time.
4. Power Squat
- Place your hands straight by your sides. Stand with your legs a little wider than shoulder-width apart. Squat down, bending your knees and pushing your butt back as if you were sitting in a chair. Make sure your knees stay behind your toes.
- Explode up through the balls of your feet into a vertical leap with your legs and arms fully extended. As you land softly, sink back into the squat position, keeping your knees softly bent. Never land with your legs still extended and do not fully lock your knees out. That is one rep. Do as many power squats as you can within 60 seconds. To see photos, click here.
Modification: Do not squat down as deep, and rather than jump, simply rise up and stand on your toes as you extend your legs.
>> Read more: Try our fat-blasting at-home gym workout!
5. Skater Jump
- Cross left leg behind right and bend into a half-squat. Your arms should follow your legs: right arm out to the side, left arm across hips.
- Hop to the left, switching your legs and arms. Left-to-right is one rep. Keep hopping from side to side for 60 seconds. Click here for more info.
Modification: Decrease your range of motion and step side to side instead of jumping.
6. Plank Jack
- Place your hands on the floor directly beneath shoulders in push up plank position. Your body should be in a straight, diagonal line from your head to toes. Do not let your stomach sag or arch.
- Jump your feet out to the sides, and then back to center like a jumping jack. Repeat this move for 60 seconds. Check it out here!
Modification: Instead of jumping, step alternating legs out to the side and then back in.
Now it’s time to slide into your workout clothes and get started! T-minus 20 minutes!