Does it get any better than a burrito? Meat, beans, veggies, rice, cheese, salsa…these are some of our favorite things! The only issue we have with restaurant burritos is that they typically have a day’s worth of calories since they’re the size of a small baby. If you make your burritos at home you can keep your calories in check and experiment with some nontraditional ingredients, all while keeping the same great taste and flavor. Here are some of our favorite recipes that we’re sure you and the whole family will love!
1. Egg and Avocado Breakfast Burrito: A breakfast burrito is a great (and easy) way to start your day. A burrito is also the perfect on-the-go breakfast. Whether you’re running to work or the kids are running to the bus, this delicious recipe is the perfect mix of protein, carbs, and fats to keep you full all morning. (via Add A Pinch)
2. Skinny Baked Burritos: Ready to feel like you’re cheating for less than 300 calories?! Yeah, us too! Like every day! This burrito brings it! Low-carb, low-fat, and tons of delish Mexican flavors – this one is almost too good to be true! (via Skinny Mom)
3. Southwest Beef and Bean Burrito: This is a great weeknight recipe because you cook the beef all day in a slow cooker while you’re out running errands or at work. Once you come home it’s as simple as shredding the meat, layering the burrito, and enjoying. (via Ready Set Eat)
4. Chicken Burrito Bowls: Burrito bowls are one of the most popular dishes at Mexican chains, and it’s one of the best ways to load up on veggies. This recipe is super easy to throw together and a great way to use cooked chicken you may have leftover from another recipe. (via Six Sisters’ Stuff)
5. Chipotle Shrimp Burrito with Avocado Crema: Good luck reading this recipe and not immediately wanting to try it out. This burrito is a little on the fancier side, so you might not want to waste it on little children who won’t appreciate it, but it’s perfect for a girls night. Well, once you add margaritas it will be perfect. (via Foodie Crush)
6. Smothered Burritos: “Smothered” might be one of the most fun words to see in a recipe title. Now anything smothered probably isn’t the healthiest option, but live a little! Even the strictest dieter gets a cheat meal now and then, so why not try a smothered burrito for your next cheat? (via Blog Chef)
7. Baked Steak Burritos: This is a great recipe to get you started on the burrito bandwagon. It’s a pretty basic, though delicious, burrito and once you perfect it, it’s a great recipe to build off of. We think of this as the starter burrito, so give it a try! (via Cully’s Kitchen)
8. Cilantro Lime Pesto and Black Bean Burrito: Don’t worry vegetarians, we didn’t forget about you! The great thing about pesto is that you’re not limited to using basil. You can mix it up with parsley, kale, spinach, or in this case, cilantro. And for the carnivores out there, I think adding some cooked chicken to the burrito would be pretty darn tasty. (via Practical Stewardship)
9. Vegan Chickpea Burritos: Chickpeas aren’t usually the first ingredient you think of when you think burritos, but trust us, they work! We know a lot of moms do meatless Mondays, and we think this would be a great recipe to throw in the rotation. (via Sweet C’s Designs)
10. Sweet Potato Burrito with Mushrooms and Kale: Anyone trying to eat healthy knows the benefits of sweet potatoes and kale, and here they are in a handy-dandy burrito. Don’t be intimidated by the ingredient list of this recipe, it’s surprisingly easy to put together, and it might be the healthiest burrito you’ll ever make. (via Hub Pages)
11. Bean Burrito Casserole: Why not try a burrito casserole? A regular burrito might be tough for little hands to handle. This casserole has all the taste of a traditional burrito but you can eat it with a fork and knife, or even a spoon. It’s also a breeze to make, just assemble and pop in the oven. (via Simple Daily Recipes)
12. Caramel Apple Burritos: Burritos aren’t just for savory main dishes! These caramel apple burritos are like a caramel apple married a slice of apple pie and had a delicious baby. One bite of these and you’ll be wondering why you haven’t been doing dessert burritos all along. (via DIY Life Martini)
13. Banana Burrito: This burrito is the perfect quick snack or dessert. It’s easy enough to let children make, as it only takes about a minute to prepare, and it uses all ingredients you probably have on hand. Sounds pretty perfect, right? Well what are you waiting for? Go make one!
Are you drooling yet? We certainly are! We can’t wait to get some burrito feedback from all of you! Comment below with your favorites and any that you love that didn’t make the list!