An entire industry has been devoted to whitening teeth. Big brands are charging a premium for quick, easy solutions to the daily wear and tear of our teeth’s brightness. Whitening kits can cost anywhere from $10 to $50, and appointments for professional whitening can run in the hundreds. Before spending your hard earned money on over-the-counter remedies and expensive visits, try some of these safe ways to brighten your pearly whites.
1. Baking soda: It’s the secret ingredient to your new beauty routine. A combatant of yellow teeth and bad breath, this household staple does it all.
2. Apple cider vinegar: Stubborn stains don’t stand a chance against ACV. This option usually takes a bit longer to see results, but if consistent, some people attest to it looking like a professional whitening job. Be sure not to let the vinegar set into your teeth as the acid can erode the enamel. After brushing with Apple cider vinegar, brush with plain water for a few seconds.
3. Strawberries: An enzyme called malic acid is found in both strawberries and many whitening toothpastes. Cut a berry in half, rub on your teeth for approximately one minute, then rinse.
4. Eat cheddar, drink milk. Lactic acid is said to help maintain teeth (meaning the enamel and strength of teeth). Hard cheeses, like cheddar, help to remove other food particles from teeth while fortifying with calcium and vitamin D.
5. Follow your dentist’s recommendations. We preach brushing twice per day for two minutes at a time to our children. Do we follow the same rules? Follow good brushing habits and you’ll combat new stains and rid your pearly whites of old ones.