What is a super food and why is it so super? Foods that contain high amounts of densely packed nutrients are considered the “powerhouses” of foods and offer many health benefits beyond powering your brain and fueling your body. By adding these foods to your daily diet, you may also experience additional health benefits including enhancing your immune system and decreasing your risk of heart disease, diabetes and certain cancers.
Here you will find a list of 11 foods considered by many to be super foods which contain high levels of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to better protect your health.
- Spinach: Popeye’s food of choice has a special combination of 13 flavanoids which work together to slow cancers such as breast cancer. Plus, it contains 100% of vitamins A and K.
- Avocados: The oleic acid in avocados has been shown to keep hunger cravings away.
- Apples containing the peel: Why the peel? That’s where most of the antioxidants are stored, especially the vitamin C. The fruit is also packed with pectin, a form of soluble fiber that can lower cholesterol!
- Broccoli: At less than 30 calories per serving, broccoli is one powerful cancer-fighting veggie.
- Nuts equal to an ounce a day: These are rich in healthy fats that are easier for the body to break down.
- Berries: Fruits are known for their antioxidants and none is more popular than the blueberry.
- Quinoa: Dubbed as a “supergrain,” quinoa is derived from a plant related to spinach and contains more protein than any other grain.
- Salmon wild caught: When naturally caught, these salmon are a lean, clean protein. That means it’s packed with free radical fighting nutrients.
- Asparagus: Rich with vitamin K which is important for strong bones as well as blood clotting.
- Eggs: Incredible, edible eggs are protein powerhouses. Don’t be too worried about the cholesterol. Studies have proven that egg eaters do not have lower good or higher bad cholesterol than a bagel eater. Stick to the whites if you can, though!
- Brussel sprouts: Low in sodium, free from cholesterol and packed with fiber.