Editor’s note: The following article is written by a Skinny Mom Resident Mom. The Resident Mom program gives a voice to our readers, allowing moms across the world to contribute content to Skinny Mom. If you’re interested in becoming a Resident Mom, click here to apply.
As my favorite season rolls around and the muggy days make way to cool, crisp mornings, it’s time to turn to one of the world’s oldest comfort foods: soup. Nothing beats a warm soup on a cool day, topped with crackers or used as a dip for a lettuce-wrapped sandwich.
In addition to reminding us of childhood, moms everywhere sneak additional vegetables in their kids’ (and husband’s!) plates this way. See our family’s favorite soup recipes below. In most cases, the healthy versions have outranked the traditional versions per my very discerning critics. In addition, they are all gluten-free.
1. Chicken Zoodle Soup: This clever recipe by The Nourishing Home uses zucchini noodles instead of pasta, which lowers the calorie count significantly and also helps you boost your vegetable count for the day!
2. Broccoli Kale Soup: A creamy, non-dairy version of broccoli soup keeps your waist trim, and your palate happy. Pair this with an entrée, or add shrimp for a fuller meal. (via Amy Myers)
3. Gingered Sweet Potato Soup with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds: Pair the pumpkin flavor of fall with a creamy sweet potato soup with cannellini beans for an added protein punch. (via MyRecipes)
4. Zucchini Soup: A perfect accompaniment to an entrée, this soup by Skinnytaste can be made dairy-free by adding in soaked cashews or a small white mashed potato in place of the sour cream.
5. Cheeseburger Soup: When you’re missing barbequed burgers on a cold day, this soup by Skinny Kitchen will hit the spot. Filled with potatoes, and lean ground turkey, you can get enjoy this soup while still reaching your summer bathing suit goals.
6. Creamy Shrimp, Corn and Leek Soup: An amazing soup that presents as beautifully as it tastes, you can comfortably make this full meal soup for your guests. For the dairy-averse, use rice or quinoa milk for a smooth taste. Get the Skinny Mom recipe here!
7. Red Lentil and Vegetable Soup: A Meatless Monday win, this soup is hearty and full of colorful vegetables. Pair with some chickpea flour chapatti for a protein-filled bread option. (via Cooking Channel)
8. Chicken and Butternut Squash Soup: This is hands-down our favorite soup by Against All Grain, an amazing grain-free, dairy-free blogger. This soup pairs the fall flavors of butternut squash and yams with rotisserie chicken for a quick, aromatic dinner.
9. Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup: A hearty Mexican soup that cooks in the slow cooker to provide a low stress, hearty family dinner. Get the Skinny Mom recipe here!
10. Paleo Cincinnati Chili: This recipe will turn your knowledge of chili on its side, as it pairs bacon, ground meat and BBQ sauce for a smokey, sweet flavor. Use ground turkey and lean bacon for a lower calorie version of this meal. (via Steve’s Paleogoods)
Prepare these recipes weekly and smile as you watch your vegetable-averse family members happily eating your deliciously disguised, comfort-inducing food.