This is a GREAT “adult” mac ‘n cheese recipe from Skinny Kitchen. The leftovers were so tasty too, which is key in my house! Make this when a cheesey-carb craving hits – the fat free cottage cheese really ups the cheesy factor without making the nutrition go south. It’s quickly becoming one of my favorite ingredients to cook with! According to the original post – this dish freezes well too!
- 2 cups (8 ounces) uncooked penne - look for whole grain
- 1 jar Ragu Light Parmesan Alfredo sauce
- 1 (9 oz) package frozen and thawed chopped spinach, well drained
- 1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- ¼ cup fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light, melted
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 egg
- ½ cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Coat a 9×9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray. You can use glass or metal.
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse in cold water. Drain again.
- In a large bowl, whisk together Alfredo sauce, drained spinach, cottage cheese, milk, butter and garlic.
- Add pasta and mix really well.
- Blend in egg, basil, salt and pepper. Be sure it’s all mixed together well.
- Transfer pasta to the prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top evenly with mozzarella cheese
- Bake casserole at 450 degrees for 25 minutes until golden brown
- Let casserole rest for 10 minutes
Nutrition Info and Tips
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 293; Total Fat: 9g; Total Carbs: 36g; Dietary Fiber: 5g; Protein: 18g
WW Points Plus: 7
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com