Skinny Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore
So many of us use the excuse that we do not have the time to cook healthy, eating healthy is too expensive, we don’t like veggies, etc. But, healthy eating doesn’t have to be time consuming, difficult, or expensive, and one of my favorite ways to cook healthy is in a crock pot!
This meal is a big favorite in our house. It makes a ton of food, and we always have a lot of left overs to eat or to freeze as a meal for another day. It’s also inexpensive since I used few ingredients and you can find chicken thighs super cheap. No more excuses. Healthy is possible even though you are busy! I hope you and your family will enjoy this as much as my family does.
Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore
- 6 chicken thighs (no skin and fat cut off)
- 1 28oz diced tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper cut into chunky bite sized pieces. (I used 1/2 yellow and 1/2 red)
- 1 medium onion
- 2-4 garlic sliced or roughly chopped
- 1-2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1-2 dried bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley for topping
- Whole wheat pasta, brown rice, or veggies to mix with (like broccoli)
- For the best results, I like to brown chicken in a skillet with a little olive oil to "lock in" the juices. Once quickly browned, place chicken into the crock pot.
- Add onion, garlic and bell peppers to skillet and quickly brown them as well. Make sure you scrap the good chicken flavors from the bottom of the pan and add it all on top of the chicken.
- If you are short on time, you can skip the first two steps and just add chicken, onion, bell peppers and garlic straight to the to the crock pot.
- Add tomatoes, spices and stir it around. Then cover and set on low 6-7 hours (or on high for 4 hours).
- In the last 30 minutes, carefully take chicken out and shred chicken. The chicken is usually so tender it just falls off the bone with no problem. CAUTION: make sure there is no bone in the tomato mix that fell off.
- Keep it on low for another 30-40 min after you shredded the chicken. Perfect time to cook whole wheat fettuccine. Or you can cook with brown rice or mix the chicken with vegetables for a low carb meal!
- Now serve in a bowl with chopped up parsley on top and enjoy this healthy filling meal!
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com
Photo Credit: Fearless Homemaker
Enjoy!!! Have a great happy & healthy day mamas!! Love, Lina