Are you planning your New Years Resolution? Another Resolution revolving around another year of “wanting” to get into shape? Do not spend another 20 or so days putting off what you can kick start now.
I am in “Contest Prep” so I do not have the option of putting training and nutrition off for another few weeks – but by staying on top of things, I have dropped 2 pounds over the last 10 days. Do I feel like I have not been able to fully and completely enjoy the Holiday festivities over the course of the past couple of weeks? Absolutely not.
Here are a few tips to keep you on track for the remainder of the year and possibly help prevent another New Year’s Resolution of “wanting” by actually “having” the basic knowledge to be well on your way to achieving your 2013 fitness goals:
- Exercise in the morning – with the hustle and bustle of the Holidays, things can be pushed off and neglected. Do not make your health and fitness the one! Set the alarm early and get your sweat on before the children even know what you are up to!
- Eat BEFORE you go to a holiday party – this will help prevent arriving at the party starving and filling your plate with the unhealthy items you are craving because of the drop in your blood sugar from not eating. Grab the dessert sized plate when filling up at the buffet and load up with fresh veggies and fruits.
- ALLOW for your favorite Holiday treats – do not set unrealistic goals stating you are going to abstain from all treats. If you schedule in your cheat treats, it will not feel like a failure and you will be less likely to binge. It will not be the ONE cheat meal on Christmas that will pack on the pounds. It will be the nibbling here and there all through the season.
- Have a “spotter” – This is a big personal one for me. I have one of my children help me with the baking as well as keep watch to make sure all of my cookie dough makes it onto the pan and then back off the pan.
- Spend one day a week doing Food Preparation - Plan a weekly meal of healthy items to keep you on track through each week. This will assure you have healthy foods available as you are running in or out the door … This is something I do all year long but is especially important during this time so you have healthy food available to grab when a craving hits.