The holidays are full of joy & laughter…and cooking, shopping, decorating, holiday programs…the list goes on and on! There is so much to do this time of year, it’s exhausting!! When you’re low on energy, things that would normally make you happy (like holiday parties or putting up decorations) can leave you feeling overwhelmed and blue instead.
Here are some tips for boosting your energy and avoiding the holiday blues this season:
- Exercise - Even though your to-do list is a mile long, don’t skip your workouts! Even a quick sweat session will increase your energy and improve your mood.
- Music – Crank it up! No matter how crazy my life gets or how exhausted I feel, music can always make me feel better. Put on your favorite tunes (holiday music is totally acceptable) and dance around your house like no one is watching. It works…trust me!
- Girl Talk – Grab a cup of coffee with a friend, and take some time to reconnect. Talking with a friend can do wonders for your mood, and you can enjoy the yummy holiday flavors while getting a caffeine boost at the same time!
- Get Something Done – I am one of those people who can get so overwhelmed with my to-do list that I end up doing NOTHING. But even crossing one item off of your crazy holiday list can give you that sense of accomplishment to help keep you going.
- Get Enough Sleep – It can be so tempting to stay up late after the kids go to bed to get everything done, but you need your rest! Aim for at least 7 hours of sleep at night. (You know this!!)
- Fake It – The way we act can change the way we feel. It sounds simple because it is. When you put energy into your activities, you get energy back.
- Enjoy the Little Things – Watch your favorite holiday movie with your kids, read your favorite holiday story, or have them help you bake some new holiday goodies. Take the time to make some memories this holiday season, because that’s what it’s really all about!!
*Inspired by Gretchen Rubin’s Happiness Project