It is no secret that my favorite food, hands down, is Greek food. I simply cannot get enough hummus, olives or chicken kabobs. My husband knows that if asked, I will always choose a Greek restaurant for our pre-movie, date-night dinner. Greek food is filling, delicious and healthy. So , of course, when asked to bring an appetizer to a friends party, this weekend, I chose a Greek one!
5-layer Mexican dip was a staple at any gathering at my house, growing up. But, 5-layer Mexican dip is notoriously heavy in both fat and calories. The solution…give it a Greek makeover. And instead of serving it with fried tortilla chips, make your own healthy whole-wheat, baked pita chips!
Here’s a recipe that I found and adjusted to my liking.
- • hummus (recipe below)
- • 2 C diced cucumbers
- • 1 C diced, bottled roasted red peppers
- • 1 C bottled, sliced kalamata olives
- • 3/4 C feta
- • olive oil
- • pepper to taste
- 1. Layer the Hummus 1-2 inches thick in a serving dish. Layer the cucumbers on top followed by the red peppers, then the olives, then the feta.
- 2. Drizzle the top with olive oil and sprinkle with pepper.
- 3. Serve with homemade pita chips, sliced and baked yourself at 400 degrees for 7-10 mins.
Nutrition Info and Tips
• 2 15oz cans of chickpeas/garbanzo beans
• 1/3 C liquid from one of the cans
• 1 1/2-2 T bottled minced garlic
• juice from half a lemon
• 4 T olive oil
• 2 T tahini (sesame seed oil)
• 1 teasp salt
• pepper to taste
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com