The most important meal of the day is the one you have after you workout. An hour after you exercise, your body needs to be replenished with protein, carbs, and healthy fats. You should also plan your workout with your largest meal of the day. If you love your pancakes, workout first thing in the morning. Here are my 5 favorite post-workout go-to meals that I love to repeat over and over without ever being dull.
1. On days where I do high-intensity cardio and yoga, I like to have Quinoa pasta. It is a great carbohydrate that I welcome. Usually I add some broccoli, garlic, zucchini, and shrimp. Using lemon juice is healthier than adding a heavy buttery sauce. Here is another Skinny Quinoa Pasta recipe, as well as some tips for cooking with quinoa.
2. Salmon is a main entrée I love to have after weight lifting at least twice a week. Served with steamed broccoli and half a sweet potato topped with cinnamon makes a delicious meal that will keep me full for hours. I like to cook my salmon with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil for a slight sweet taste. Want to spice it up? Try this Jalapeno Salmon recipe!
3. A protein shake is a healthy option when you are short on time. Whey protein is the best protein, in my opinion. I add in 1 cup almond milk, bunch of spinach, banana, strawberries, chia seeds, almond butter or half of an avocado to make it creamy and provide 15g of heart healthy monounsaturated fat. Blend and enjoy!
4. I love salads when I don’t feel like doing much cooking. But I’m not talking about a little garden side salad. I like mine to be a beast of a salad! I start with mixed greens, add kale, prepared oven-roasted vegetables, choice of protein (shrimp, tofu, cut up veggie pattie), and lemon. Salsa or hummus is a great substitute for dressing. Want to add some chicken? Try this Skinny Chicken and Fruit Salad – it’s delicious!
5. I love breakfast. Even if I am working out in the afternoon, I like an egg omelet on occasion. I start with 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites. I mix in zucchini, tomatoes, onions and black beans. I top with sliced avocado. Eggs are always the most simple and best source of protein.
What is your favorite post-workout meal?