When the opportunity to read “Hurry Less Worry Less for Moms” by Judy Christie was given to me, I couldn’t pass it up. I knew I would need to write about it, and that kept me accountable to actually read it and pay attention to what I was reading. I’m SO glad that I did. She made so many points that I think deep down I already knew, but I didn’t acknowledge them because I was too busy worrying about everything. Here are some of the points that really struck me:
- Balancing demands should be like balancing your diet. A plate full of all desserts might taste good, but that doesn’t mean it’s good for you. Like food groups, your plate should contain a balance of your priorities (husband, children, work, yourself, and others).
- Make useful lists. A list with too many or too little things can be overwhelming. Consider making 2 separate lists; one with items that can be crossed off fairly easily, and another for bigger tasks/goals that will require more time and energy.
- Take a vacation. This doesn’t mean take your kids to Disney World and stand in line for the Peter Pan ride and argue with your colleague (yes, I’ve seen that happen). Put your cell phone away and take time to just be with your family.
- Don’t focus on what you need to fix until you’ve learned to appreciate what is going well.
- Each day offers the opportunity for a clean slate. Wake up every morning and ask yourself “Where am I going?” and “How am I going to get there?” and throw out a stop sign to any negative thoughts.
- How to lean on and incorporate God into your daily life – If that’s your thing. Take the time to pause and ask for guidance.
Keep this statement in mind. “How do you get everything done? You don’t. You don’t even try. Instead, you get the most important things done first, step by step. Enjoy that process.” (pg. 115)
To order a copy of “Hurry Less Worry Less for Moms” or any of the other “Hurry Less, Worry Less” books by Judy Christie visit http://www.hurrylessworryless.com/index.html .
GIVEAWAY OPPORTUNITY: To be eligible to win, all you have to do is comment below on why you should win Hurry Less Worry Less. For extra opportunities to win, follow Skinny Mom on Twitter, click here to sign up for the Skinny Mom newsletter, “like” Skinny Mom on Facebook, and “share” the link to this giveaway on your Facebook page. Post a comment below for each of the opportunities you take advantage of for an increased chance of winning!