Skinny Mom is incredibly honored to spotlight our favorite food blogger, Gina Homolka, creator of Skinny Taste. Skinny Taste is one of the most well known food blogs in the country, and is well deserving of that title with the impeccable recipes, fabulous food photography, and honest discourse Gina shares with her loyal fans.
Gina’s gourmet meals are packed with flavor, low in fat and calories, and are easy to assemble, perfect for you busy moms out there! Gina breaks down each step meticulously and includes photos of the food-in-progress, making each recipe a fun adventure rather than a frustrating disaster! Her recipes are organized for any holiday, allergy, or special diet. You name it, she’s got it covered: gluten free, low-cal, low-fat, under $10 meals, snacks, and plenty of desserts. Be sure to check out Skinny Taste, and let Gina guide you on balancing life and food by planning ahead and swapping up your ingredients to keep your food fun, healthy, and versatile.
1. What inspired you to start writing your blog? When I started in 2008, there was a lack of light recipes with a gourmet appeal. Most of the recipes I found online were made with processed foods and didn’t appeal to me, so I started my own blog experimenting with ethnic and American dishes, just cutting back on the fat.
2. What is your favorite aspect about being part of an online blogging community? I love the sense of community, making friends with people all over the country who share the same passions as myself.
3. What is your favorite topic to blog about? Skinny food, naturally.
4. In your opinion, what is the best feature on your blog? Recipes that are healthy, light, and delicious at the same time.
5. Where do your recipe ideas come from? Favorite meals I grew up eating, something I tried at a restaurant, make-over requests…inspiration is everywhere.
6. What advice do you have for busy moms and women that don’t have a lot of time to get a balanced meal ready every night for their family? Planning ahead for the week and putting together a shopping list is the best way to get prepared for the week ahead. Healthy food doesn’t always have to take a lot of time, many recipes can be made quick for busy weeknights. Make freezer-friendly meals on weekends when you have more time so you can freeze them to heat later in the week.
7. What is your favorite dish? This is a really tough question, I love too many and it depends on my mood that day, but I really love Sofrito Chicken Stew.
8. What is the one spice or herb everyone should have in their cabinet? Well I probably own just about every spice and use them all, but I’ll have to say garlic powder and cumin are my two most used spices.
9. What is your favorite cooking appliance? My mini food processor, it saves me a ton of time in the kitchen.
10. What is your go to dish when hosting a party or attending an event? Bolognese Sauce, you can make it ahead and everyone loves it.
11. If you could eat one thing everyday without worrying about your health, what would it be? Ario’s in Brooklyn has an amazing pasta dish with shrimp in a creamy, cheesy sauce baked in the oven. Amazing!
Here are my top 3 favorite recipes from Skinny Taste:
- Shrimp Parmigiana Hero, Lightened Up
- Thai Chicken and Pineapple Stir Fry
- Lightened Up Creme Brulee French Toast