This recipe which I adapted from a Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe pairs chicken with Deli-sliced ham and creamy Swiss cheese. It has quickly become a favorite dinner meal around my house as the chicken tastes delicious but the prep and clean up for this dish is also easy. As a tip, make sure to slice your chicken very thin as it will be easier to roll up and also have toothpicks on hand to secure the chicken before cooking. Enjoy!
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 3 ham slices (I used Boar’s head low sodium brand)
- 3 slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper for easy clean-up.
- Wash and trim fat off of chicken breasts. Using a knife, slice each chicken breast length wise to make 2 equal sized chicken cutlets. (The thin cutlets are easier to roll.)
- In a medium size dish, mix Panko bread crumbs, whole wheat bread crumbs, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Pour egg whites in a separate medium size dish.
- Cut ham slices length wise to make 6 equal ham slices.
- Cut Swiss cheese length wise to make 6 equal cheese slices.
- Place one slice of ham on chicken cutlet followed by one slice of cheese.
- Starting at the top of the cutlet, tightly roll each cutlet and secure with 1-2 toothpicks.
- Brush rolled chicken cutlet with egg white mixture and then dip rolled chicken cutlet into bread crumb mixture to cover completely. Place chicken cutlet on parchment paper lined cookie sheet seem side down.
- Repeat with remaining chicken cutlets.
- Bake chicken cutlets in over for 20-30 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
Nutrition Info Per Serving: Calories: 215.1, Fat: 5.3g, Carbohydrates: 4.8, Fiber: .2g, Protein: 35g, Sugars: og