Skinny Mom once posed a question on Facebook asking which area of your body you want to improve. Before even scanning the comment thread, I knew that the overwhelming response would be the thighs and tush because, unfortunately, that’s how we are made. There are so many wonderful things about being a woman, but the propensity toward saddlebags and rear cushioning aren’t top on most of our lists.
The best way to trim out both the inner and outer thighs comes through a combination of strengthening muscles and burning through the fat pockets that are covering them up. With this circuit, you will do a burst of cardio that relies heavily on those muscles, followed by a strengthening move. Do all of the exercises, in order, with very little rest between them until after the sliding squats. Rest for about a minute before beginning the circuit again. Repeat the circuit a third time and feel the burn!
- ICE SKATERS- For ice skaters, you’ll need to channel your inner Apollo Ohno. Start by leaping sideways, letting your inside leg slide as far behind your outside one as you can. Do this back and forth as quick as you can for 45 seconds.
- WEIGHTED SUMO SQUATS- Start with your feet much wider than shoulder-width apart, toes pointed outward. Dangling either a heavy dumbbell, medicine ball or kettlebell with both hands, slowly drop straight down into a squat (thighs parallel to the floor and knees not going wider than your toes) and then powerfully return to the starting position.
- POP SQUATS- Start standing with your feet together. Simultaneously jump both feet out and into a squat and then jump them back together into your starting position. Jump quick and powerfully for 45 seconds.
- INWARD BOX JUMPS- For this, you will need either an exercise step or a low box at your gym. Start by straddling the step or box and jump both feet up and in at the same time, touching as they come together. Quickly step one foot off then the other, back to straddling and continue on with your inward jumps 12 times total. *This is my pick for the very best inner thigh exercise.
- SLIDING SQUATS- Yes…more squats! For this last burst of cardio, start with feet just wider than shoulder-width apart, toes forward. Lower into a squat and as you come back up, jump to the right, clicking your feet as they meet in the air. Land with your feet just wider than shoulder-width apart again and drop back into a squat. Repeat the jump slide in the other direction. Keep sliding and squatting quickly and powerfully for 45 seconds.
After 3 sets of this circuit, your legs will burn and you will feel exhausted. Just remember, that burn and exhaustion is what stems change!