Forget going out for pizza or calling for delivery! After you try this recipe for Southwest Barbecue Chicken Pizza you might change your mind about baking pizza at home as this turned out to be one delicious pizza. One of my favorite splurge meals is a barbecue chicken pizza from a local pizza place in the Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area called Dewey’s Pizza. I used their barbecue chicken pizza for inspiration and created this lighter pizza option using reduced-fat crescent rolls as the crust, big pieces of seasoned chicken, a few hearty toppings, and a reduced sugar barbecue sauce. I had this recipe on the table in less than 25 minutes and it is now a new favorite at my house.
- 1 roll Pillsbury reduced-fat crescent rolls
- 1 cup chopped chicken, cooked
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup reduced-sugar barbecue sauce
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (for rolling dough)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Open crescent rolls and form dough into a ball. Refrigerate dough for 2-3 minutes.
- On a clean dry surface add 1 cup of whole wheat flour. Using a rolling pin, roll out cold dough onto flour and form dough into a thin round circle about 11-12 inches in diameter. This will be the pizza dough. Place pizza dough onto a pizza pan.
- Place pizza dough into the oven and cook for 5-7 minutes until lightly brown.
- In a medium size skillet, heat onion and garlic over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until onions starts to caramelize.
- In a medium size bowl, add chopped chicken and mix with 1 tbsp reduced-sugar barbecue sauce. Mix until chicken is evenly covered.
- Spread remainder of barbecue sauce onto cooked pizza dough.
- Top pizza with chicken.
- Next, add onions and garlic to pizza, followed by black beans and corn.
- Lastly, add shredded cheese to the top of pizza.
- Place pizza back in oven and turn oven on broiler. Heat pizza for 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and cut into 8 equal slices and serve hot.