Satisfy your sweet tooth with this yummy and low calorie vanilla cupcake recipe. Here at Skinny Mom®, we like to top the cupcakes with fresh fruit and you have a delicious snack that won’t wreck your diet or expand your waistline.
Skinny Mom Fact: One cupcake is consumed for every adult in the US every day, that is a lot of cupcakes!
*This recipe was adapted from a recipe in Hungry Girl®.
Yields: 10 Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 Cupcake
- For Frosting:
- • 1 1/2 cups Cool Whip® Free, thawed
- • 2 tbsp. Jell-O® Sugar Free Fat Free Vanilla Instant Pudding Mix
- For Cupcakes:
- • Half of an 18.25-oz. box (about 1 1/2 cups) moist-style yellow or white reduced sugar cake mix (We love Pilsbury® 50% less made with Splenda®
- • 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup Sprite Zero® (or another diet lemon-lime soda), room temperature
- • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- • 1/2-cup liquid egg whites or (about 4) raw egg whites
- For Topping:
- • ½ cup fresh fruit (blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, or raspberries)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. To make frosting, combine Cool Whip® with pudding mix in a bowl, and mix until smooth. Cover and refrigerate until cupcakes are ready to be frosted, best if this has been refrigerated for at least 30 minutes.
- 3. In a large bowl, combine cake mix (remember that you are only using ½ of the box) with baking powder and stir until free of any lumps. Add Sprite Zero and vanilla extract, stir or whisk until batter is smooth. Set aside.
- 4. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites with a handheld electric mixer set on medium speed until fluffy, about 1 - 2 minutes. Slowly mix egg whites into the cake batter until thoroughly combined.
- 5. Line 10 cups of a 12-cup muffin pan with baking cups and/or spray with nonstick spray. Evenly distribute batter among the 10 cups. Cups will be almost full but no need to worry.
- 6. Bake for 17-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out fairly clean. Set aside and allow to completely cool.
- 7. Once cupcakes have cooled, top each evenly with the frosting and the fresh fruit. Enjoy!
Nutrition Info and Tips
Per Serving (1 Cupcake)
Copyright 2013 SkinnyMom.com